The first time I saw the topic, I thought I had to pick my top 10 favorites. That’s when I started to panic. Anyone who knows me knows how I LOVE music. But, since it’s songs I’m loving right NOW, I think I can handle this one.
1. Happy – Pharrell Williams – OK, who HASN’T heard this song? I mean, seriously, if this song doesn’t make you smile, get up and dance, clap along and just feel good about yourself, then something’s wrong with you. Smoky the Bear/RCMP mountie hat and all. Just sayin’.
2. Blurred Lines – Robin Thicke – Hey, Hey, Hey…Amidst all the controversy behind this song, I love it. It’s got a great beat, it gets me moving, and that is all. I could do without the video, yes, but I’ll take the song and get up and dance. And look, Pharrell’s featured, too.
3. Just Give Me A Reason – P!nk ft. Nate Ruess – What can you say about Pink? This girl’s got it all. I mean, she’s got an amazing voice and her songs really get down to the depths of your soul. “Just give me a reason, just a little bit’s enough; just a second,
we’re not broken just bent and we can learn to love again.” OMG…she’s amazing!!! What really gets me are her live performances…wow. I can only imagine what it would be like to actually “see” her perform live. At any rate, I am loving this song and could listen to it forever!!!
4. Rolling in the Deep – Adele – Adele reminds me of a modern day Patsy Cline with a lotta soul. What better way to get over a break up by turining it into a Grammy winning song. This song has it all – gospel, soul, a little funk…the break up anthem for many. Go ahead, girl!!!
5. Super Bowl Halftime Show ’14 – Bruno Mars – While this is not a “song”, per se, I was blown away by this performance. I’ve heard some songs by Bruno Mars, but watching his performance during the halftime show gave me a new
level of respect for him. It had it all…a bit of James Brown meets MJ and a lot of funky dance beats. Add the Red Hot Chili Peppers and you’ve got a recipe for a great show. Tell me you can’t get up and dance, or even move just a little while watching this performance. Love it!!!
6. It Takes Two – Rob Base & DJ EZ Rock – So, I’m taking you back old school. I’m not
sure if it has anything to do with the recent death of DJ EZ Rock, but, this song has been on my mind lately. “I wanna rock right now; I’m Rob Base and I came to get down; I’m not internationally known; but I’m known to rock the microphone…” Oh, thank goodness for You Tube and scratchy cassette tapes. Ah, memories.
7. Back to Life (However Do You Want Me) – Soul II Soul – “However do you want me…however do you need me.” Another classic from my childhood that I could listen to anytime, it’s got a great beat, an awesome message, and of course, it gets me dancing.
8. If I Ever Fall In Love – Shai (Acapella version)- Going back to my childhood once again. Not only is this a great
song, the acapella version is so damn good, but, I remember my Dad bought the single and played it like it was the best thing next to sliced bread. Seriously, having my Dad like this song said a lot in my eyes because I grew up with a love of music through him. We’d have our little music “wars,” my music was nothing compared to what he grew up listening to, but it was always in good fun. Anyhow, this holds a lot of great memories for me in many ways. Not to mention they were so damn cute. Only wish I remembered their names – HA!!!
9. Just The Way You Are – Bruno Mars – Yes, Bruno makes a second appearance on my list, and this song was my first introduction to the artist by way of a friend. Friends can be something, can’t they? Basically, a friend of mine felt the best way to describe me was through part of the chorus of this song, “And when you smile, the whole world stops and stares for a while, cause girl you’re amazing just the way you are.” I can’t help but smile when I hear this song, so, yes, I’m loving this song right now.
10. Firework – Katy Perry – “There’s a spark in you; you’ve got to ignite the light and let it shine; just own the night, like the fourth of July, cause baby you’re a firework.” I love songs that carry a great message, and Firework is one of those songs. We all are a firework, special and loved in our own way and should never let anyone or anything dictate otherwise. Great song, great message, gets me choked up every once in a while. Great job, Katy Perry.
And there you have it. Trust me, I have plenty other songs in my music library of a brain that I could share, because I love good music. But, for now, these 10 are what I’m loving right now.